Monday, July 25, 2011

What a Year

It feels pretty amazing looking back at what has happened so far this year. For the winery, for myself, my family and loved ones. What a ride its been! Just ask my dad, it seems like the only thing that breaks up the arguing back and forth is something great, a gold medal, a news article, a score on wine, or a tremendous compliment from someone we haven't seen in years. Yes, my father and I can bicker band and forth a little, but at the end of the day we manage to keep it cool when it matters. (At least we make it seem that way when you guys are in the tasting room, right?)

Wine competitions have been great for us this year. We swept every major competition we entered this year, and would have potentially medaled all of our wines at Best of the Bay had we remembered to actually drop the Viognier off that we entered. Accolades keep stacking, but there will always be a moment I will never forget from this year.

Before the night at Taste of Terroir at the Palm Event Center had come to an end I was already strategizing with a fellow industry member about what I can do next year. I had written this year off. We weren't going to win. Not a chance in hell. I thought the Malbec we were pouring wasn't showing well that night, and I was surrounded by some pretty fierce competition. "We should have poured the Reserve Petite and put a little more thought into our pairing," I was saying. I was already looking at next year. "Next year our Casa De Vinas Vineyard Designate Cabernet, or the Petite, or a blend that we put together. Why did we choose the $&#^ing Malbec?!?!"

This conversation was taking place as the awards were being given out. I will never forget when Courtney Cochran, certified Sommelier took the stage and started her speech. "Ok, lets get this over with," I was thinking. After speaking highly of the event, its participants, the food, the wine, she finally started hinting towards the potential winner, saying something to the effect that this pairing, although simple in nature, made both the wine and the food taste better together. "Nottingham Cellars and The Hideaway Lounge..." I don't even know what was said after that. I was truly blown away. I took the podium, tried to address the crowd but all that came out was a series of unrelated words. When I knew I couldn't possibly calm my nerves enough to speak like a real person, I just blurted out a huge "CHEERS!" to the audience, they got the point.

Winning this award was a little different than any other accolade I have received. It is more like winning a grammy, because at regular wine competitions there is no ceremony. There aren't people who bought tickets to come and enjoy. Wine competitions are purely industry people in a small room flying through flight after flight of wine giving scores and then sending the wineries an email with there awards, a couple weeks later some medals come in the mail. This was the most personal feeling of accomplishment in the Wine Industry since we got started, because we felt like we were a part of the event. It also really hit home for us because it was so close to home

Thanks to everyone who came and showed support, thanks to the judges, Courtney, Sara, and my dear friend Laura. A special thank you to my dad, Jeff. Even though we don't always agree we always get it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment